Champions League semi-finals, 1st leg
Posted 05. may 2015
It's time for the Champions League semi-finals - Juventus and Real Madrid CF, who between them have appeared in 20 European Cup finals, will try to take significant steps towards another title when they meet in the semi-final first leg in Turin. Josep Guardiola returns to the stage he graced as both player and coach when his FC Bayern München side visit FC Barcelona for the first leg of their UEFA Champions League semi-final.
Juve and Real have met 20 times. The most recent of the teams' 16 fixtures came in last season's group stage when Madrid won 2-1 at home before a 2-2 away draw. They have faced each other 16 times – all in the European Cup – with home advantage proving key: Juventus' home record is W5 D1 L1 while Madrid's is W5 D0 L2.
Guardiola's homecoming to the club where he won three European crowns will dominate the build-up but Barcelona minds will be focused on gaining revenge for their 7-0 semi-final defeat by Bayern two years ago. Bayern have won three of their four past encounters with Barcelona at the Camp Nou, including a 3-0 success in the 2012/13 semi-finals.
- Juve is unbeaten in 12 home matches in UEFA competition.
- The Italian champions have appeared in seven European Cup finals, winning twice.
- Madrid have won eight of their last 11 away games – drawing two.
- The 0-0 draw at Club Atlético de Madrid in the quarter-finals was only the second time in 29 UEFA Champions League away fixtures.
- Four-time winners Barcelona are seeking their eighth final appearance.
- Barcelona have won all five home games in this season's UEFA Champions League.
- The Blaugrana have an overall home record of W19 D1 L7 against Bundesliga sides.
- Five-time winners Bayern are attempting to reach their 11th final.
- Their overall record against Spanish opponents in two-legged contests in UEFA competition is W9 L7.
- Bayern's away record against Spanish sides is W6 D5 L11.